Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SIW Technicians's Version Lifelong licence

Hi,
in 2013 I bought a SIW Technicians's Version which should contain lifelong new versions. 
Until now I was able to get new versions running on my main PC by using the special licence file. When I see the information on https://www.gtopala.com/err/trial-expired.php I find two statement on the "Technican's Version":
3. You may permanently activate [b]SIW Home Edition[/b] on three (3) computers, but a license can be deactivated (by uninstalling SIW) if you want to activate it on a different computer.
There is no such limit for [b]SIW Technician's Version[/b] or [b]SIW Enterprise Edition[/b].
6. Registered using a real name (Person or Company).
How can I temporarily install my SIW version on other PCs to check after installing a new OS version?

(09-20-2020 06:52 AM)jfrc51 Wrote:  Hi,
in 2013 I bought a SIW Technicians's Version which should contain lifelong new versions. 
Until now I was able to get new versions running on my main PC by using the special licence file. When I see the information on https://www.gtopala.com/err/trial-expired.php I find two statement on the "Technican's Version":
How can I temporarily install my SIW version on other PCs to check after installing a new OS version?

SIW Technician's Version is portable; copy the executables (siw*.exe) and license file (siw.lic) to the other PC. Please check the license agreement from https://www.gtopala.com/agreement/.

Gabriel: Thanks for a great program!

I'm in a similar situation - lifetime tech license. I would usually do what you suggest - from an install on my office PC, I'd copy just siw64.exe and siw.lic onto a USB / onto a cloud share that I can get to when at a client's PC.

Download / copy off those files to the machine, run it and all works fine. Then delete the download / copied files.

Today, I realized the copy I had for client machines was old. I closed SIW on my machine, downloaded and ran the siw-bundle.exe, installing into the usual folder on my PC,

Then copied siw64.exe and siw.lic to the cloud. put those on the client pc and got an error about not having / needing CrashRpt1500.dll. I got that onto the client machine in the same folder as the other 2 files.

Then it complained about not having CrashSender1500.exe. Gave it that and complained:

siw.cpp-524 cannot install the crash handler missing language file... then another box SIW at the top and ERROR_NOT_INSTALLED in the body.

I looked at the readme.txt and not seeing anything about a change in things. Am I doing something wrong for being able to run a portable version? I tried on another PC (all are win 10 pro, 64 bit, 8GB ram) and got the same errors.

(02-24-2021 12:21 PM)awilliams Wrote:  Gabriel:  Thanks for a great program!

I'm in a similar situation - lifetime tech license. I would usually do what you suggest - from an install on my office PC, I'd copy just siw64.exe and siw.lic onto a USB / onto a cloud share that I can get to when at a client's PC.

Download / copy off those files to the machine, run it and all works fine.  Then delete the download / copied files.

Today, I realized the copy I had for client machines was old. I closed SIW on my machine, downloaded and ran the siw-bundle.exe, installing into the usual folder on my PC,

Then copied siw64.exe and siw.lic to the cloud. put those on the client pc and got an error about not having / needing CrashRpt1500.dll.  I got that onto the client machine in the same folder as the other 2 files.

Then it complained about not having CrashSender1500.exe.  Gave it that and complained:

siw.cpp-524 cannot install the crash handler missing language file...  then another box SIW at the top and ERROR_NOT_INSTALLED in the body.

I looked at the readme.txt and not seeing anything about a change in things.  Am I doing something wrong for being able to run a portable version?  I tried on another PC (all are win 10 pro, 64 bit, 8GB ram) and got the same errors.
  • There is no such thing as siw-bundle.exe
  • You cannot install SIW Technician's version
Please tell me your order number.

DOH!!! OK, the siw-bundle.exe has 2 EXEs

siw-setup.exe
and
siw.7z.exe

I was using siw-setup's siw64.exe. properties of that says siw enterprise.

the siw.7z.exe's siw64.exe shows properties as SIW.

The portable needs the siw.7z.exe's siw64?

1) Has it always been that way? Don't remember this issue before / not sure which exe I ran from the zip.
2) Sorry if the info is on the web somewhere / I didn't see it.... enterprise vs. portable... same info? or are there pros / cons to run 1 or the other on my own machine?
3) care to detail what the other files in the install folder are for? the crash... apps, eureka? and siwviewer?

THANKS!

thanks! I meant siw_bundle.zip

I have to look around for the order number - is it in the siw.lic or somewhere else? I bought years ago.

And looking around the website more, I saw - technician uses the files in the siw.7z.exe

And the enterprise uses siw-install.exe

weird I hadn't had issues previously? has there always been 2 different siw64.exe ? 1 for enterprise / installed and 1 for tech / not installable?

(02-24-2021 01:29 PM)awilliams Wrote:  thanks!  I meant siw_bundle.zip

I have to look around for the order number - is it in the siw.lic or somewhere else?  I bought years ago.

And looking around the website more, I saw - technician uses the files in the siw.7z.exe

And the enterprise uses siw-install.exe

weird I hadn't had issues previously?  has there always been 2 different siw64.exe ?  1 for enterprise / installed and 1 for tech / not installable?

There are multiple siw64.exe binaries:
  • Technician's Version
  • Enterprise/Business Version
  • Home/Pro Version
  • Trial Version
[Image: siw-enterprise.png]