Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Remote data gathering

I posted before that I was having some issues with remote use of this tool but I can't find that post. I have since figured it out so I thought I would post my findings here to help anyone else. This worked for me in a peer to peer setting and a variation works fine in a domain setting.

I was having an issue getting SIW to work properly for me under PSExec. My work around involes creating a simple batch file and using PSEXEC to call the batch file.

First open notepad and enter this:
\\server\siw\SIW.exe /s:1073741824 /h:0 /n:0 /silent /log:csv=\\server\siw\Licenses-%ComputerName%.csv

Save as SIW.bat Of course you will need to have shared the SIW dir with proper priviledges.

Next run this command from your server
Psexec \\client PC -u client pc\user -p password -d -f -e -c \\Server\siw\SIW.bat

This will run the batch file on the client pc and place the output in a cvs fiel with the name Licenses-computer name
(example Licenses-shop-pc.cvs)

This file will be stored on your server for easy management.

This can alos be used as a logon script to gather data. In the example above I am only collecting License data. You can easily adjust it to fit your own requirements.

In a Domain environment things are a little different. PSexec worlked fine in the domain except that passwords are passed in clear text so I would not advise using that. A login script would do the job and should require no username or passwsord across the wire.

I found the SIW top be a great program for collecting this type of data and I tip my hat to the author. Nice Job.

I hope this helps thise looking to use this remotely. This worked for me and you may need to tweak it to work in your setup.

Messages In This Thread
Remote data gathering - by Unclejoe - 04-30-2013, 01:49 PM
RE: Remote data gathering - by jasonms2002 - 09-24-2015, 01:07 PM
RE: Remote data gathering - by gtopala - 09-24-2015, 01:40 PM