Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is RAM clock speed correct?

First post here, so please move to the appropriate location if this isn't it.  I hope I've adhered to all rules and appologizer if not.  
]              
I have just upgraded my system, replacing MOBO, RAM and CPU

Installed: 
MOBO: MSI B450-A Pro
CPU:    Ryzen 2700
RAM (type) :   DDR4
RAM (Sticks):  G.Skill F4000C16-160VRB

Issue: In BIOS I've enabled enabled XMP - and is showing a speed of 2933.  When I boot - and check with 2 different tools, I get different answers as to what speed the RAM is actually running at.  (running 2x 16GB sticks, total of 32 GB --- want to up to 64GB after issue resolved - I run a lot of VMs) 

1: CPU-Z - Showing 1465 MHz - on Dual, which would equate to 2930 - certainly close enough for my needs 
2: SIW -- program I've trusted for years - Reports frequency at 2132 - (1066 x2) 

SIW shows all kinds of other information, and all of it accurate.  My gut tells me the SIW number is correct.  

So question in 2 parts: 
1: Am I wrong and already getting the performance out of the memory that I can expect and if so, how do I confirm?
2: How do I get this board to recognize the RAM appropriately and run it at the correct speed?

Attachment shows relevant numbers: (this is my first post, so not sure I'm attaching correctly - possible I've done it - 0 times, and possible 3 times.

(04-10-2019 04:19 AM)Matt Wrote:  First post here, so please move to the appropriate location if this isn't it.  I hope I've adhered to all rules and appologizer if not.  
]              
I have just upgraded my system, replacing MOBO, RAM and CPU

Installed: 
MOBO: MSI B450-A Pro
CPU:    Ryzen 2700
RAM (type) :   DDR4
RAM (Sticks):  G.Skill F4000C16-160VRB

Issue: In BIOS I've enabled enabled XMP - and is showing a speed of 2933.  When I boot - and check with 2 different tools, I get different answers as to what speed the RAM is actually running at.  (running 2x 16GB sticks, total of 32 GB --- want to up to 64GB after issue resolved - I run a lot of VMs) 

1: CPU-Z - Showing 1465 MHz - on Dual, which would equate to 2930 - certainly close enough for my needs 
2: SIW -- program I've trusted for years - Reports frequency at 2132 - (1066 x2) 

SIW shows all kinds of other information, and all of it accurate.  My gut tells me the SIW number is correct.  

So question in 2 parts: 
1: Am I wrong and already getting the performance out of the memory that I can expect and if so, how do I confirm?
2: How do I get this board to recognize the RAM appropriately and run it at the correct speed?

Attachment shows relevant numbers: (this is my first post, so not sure I'm attaching correctly - possible I've done it - 0 times, and possible 3 times.

SIW shows the current frequency and supported frequencies.
Please expand the SPD Extensions to see supported frequencies.