Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

wishlist: microcode

I would like to be able to see the microcode level of a cpu, so that I know if an update is available/necessary.

Thank You and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

(01-02-2014 01:34 PM)RodolfoGiovanninetti Wrote:  I would like to be able to see the microcode level of a cpu, so that I know if an update is available/necessary.

Thank You and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti
The current version of SIW shows it as CPU Revision

(01-09-2014 03:50 PM)gtopala Wrote:  The current version of SIW shows it as CPU Revision

In my case, it is C0.
But, according to sisoft sandra lite C0 is the Stepping Mask, whereas in another line they report that Microcode is MU060E0839, are they the same thing?

Thank You again and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

(01-10-2014 03:27 AM)RodolfoGiovanninetti Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 03:50 PM)gtopala Wrote:  The current version of SIW shows it as CPU Revision

In my case, it is C0.
But, according to sisoft sandra lite C0 is the Stepping Mask, whereas in another line they report that Microcode is MU060E0839, are they the same thing?

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

You are right, Microcode and Revision are different things.
I will try to implement it.
I still have a question for you: how do you know if your CPU needs a microcode update?

(01-10-2014 10:35 PM)gtopala Wrote:  I still have a question for you: how do you know if your CPU needs a microcode update?
Using the site of the manufacturer.
For example, I work mostly with hp pcs.
When I have to reinstall one of them, I check on hp's site.
They list bios, sometimes microcode, sometimes intel me.
With Your siw for which I have a techinician license, I can check bios without rebooting the pc, so that I can see if the bios is current or if the one that is on the site is new. I would like to do the same for microcode, and for intel me.

Thank You very much again and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Microcode detection was added to SIW 2014 Nightly Build. See this screenshot

(01-19-2014 07:39 PM)gtopala Wrote:  Microcode detection was added to SIW 2014 Nightly Build. See this screenshot
Thank You for the help!
I downloaded the file into the same directory where are my technician executable and my license file.
It is seen as a trial version, so the microcode is partly masked, but at least I can see the line.
Also, there are some entries (stepping and others) that in Your screen shot are on the same line, whereas I see them in different lines.
So, I will wait the addition to the technician edition!

Rodolfo Giovanninetti