Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A wide range of questions about SIW

Hi!

I bought the lifetime updates tech version quite a while ago.   Thanks for a great product and support!

1. Are there other apps you offer?  You do great work!!

2. The bundle I bought came with 10 install licenses?   Is there a way to see how many of those are used currently?  

3. Is there a way to release licenses that are on machines that don’t exist anymore?  (is there a correct way to release a license when retiring the program?  Uninstall does it?  In the app, is there an release license feature?  All that above is based on me haven’t installed the program on a computer in months / years and only then to test / play.)

I run SIW from a USB stick.  Getting the latest version today, it downloaded SIW_Bundle.exe.  Running that I get

SIW.7z.exe and SIW-Setup.exe

4. Is SIW-Setup is for actually installing SIW on a PC? Running SIW after that install, it wants license info.  That will use one install license, right?

5. SIW.7z.exe is for the tech / portable version?

6. Is there an advantage / disadvantage to starting the program with siw.exe rather than siw64.exe or the other SIW versions?  siw.exe just calls one of the other programs?    ie I deal only with win 10 pro & server machines with 8 - 16+ GB of RAM & intel processors.  Should I just run siw64.exe vs. siw.exe?  Not that it’s a space issue, more that it’s 1 more file to deal with

7. Errata?  in the readme file in SIW.7z.exe, in section 2 contents, it talks of SIW for older OS versions.  You don't include them though.  Should they be in this list?     

siwxp.exe          SIW for Windows XP and Vista

siw2k.exe          SIW for Windows 2000
siwnt.exe          SIW for Windows NT

Yes, they are below the  ========= line. But so is siw64-noadmin.exe, which IS included in SIW.7z.exe  (ie is the ==== supposed to mean 'below this line these are not included but available elsewhere?'  There's no info on how to get those versions if they are even available anymore.

8. On the website, you talk of an enterprise version available for purchase and that 'SIW Enterprise Edition includes SIW Technician's Version'.  Is enterprise a license type for the same app as tech ? Or what are the functional differences of tech vs. enterprise?

9. running siw64-noadmin.exe might give different results than siw64.exe depending on the rights of the user the app is run under because some APIs need admin rights, right?  Is there a way to know what info it wasn't able to provide / areas of the program that weren't able to run completely?  And I know - if I run siw64 on an user account that is only a user, (at least) passwords section is not complete vs. if I run the program as the same user but gave them admin rights.  

I'd love to know that some info is missing - 'I wasn't able to access passwords for x, y, z'  to know / remind me to run SIW64.exe under an admin account if I need that info.

10. Is passwords the only area that might be different between running as a user vs. admin account?  All the hardware and software info should be the same regardless of user accounts rights?  I typed this and then ran siw64.exe under an admin account, exported an xml report, then ran siw64-noadmin.exe under that same admin account. comparing the 2 reports -  LOTS of differences besides passwords!! : )   I guess I can set the user as a user and run siw64.exe again to see what things aren't found / accessible as a user?!

THANKS FOR A GREAT PROGRAM!! 

(08-04-2023 12:03 PM)awilliams Wrote:  1. No other applications, but Topala Software Solutions offers Custom Software Development.
2. Few years ago, SIW Bundle license was changed to SIW Enterprise.
3. Uninstalling SIW releases the license.
4. Yes, siw-setup.exe installs SIW using one license.
5. Yes, siw.7z.exe is an archive containing SIW Technician's Version.
6. siw.exe calls siw32.exe, siw64.exe or siw-arm64.exe. It should be used if you want to run SIW from a shell script (or when you don't know the OS bitness).
7. siwxp.exe, siw2k.exe, siwnt.exe, and siw64-noadmin.exe are customized versions. siw64-noadmin.exe is included by mistake; We will remove it ASAP.
8. Please check the license agreement.
9. It is hard to provide a list with differences between admin and non-admin (different OS versions/builds).
10. There are many APIs that require admin privileges or provide different replies for admin vs. non-admin users.
Example from my PC: the "wmic logicaldisk get caption" command returns:
[Image: logicaldisk-non-admin.png]
or
[Image: logicaldisk-admin.png]

Thanks for the quick, thorough answers!

Just a little clarification?

3) so is there a place I can log into to see how many licenses I have / how many are still available?  

And if the app wasn't uninstalled (because the computer died, etc). Is there a license release request process?

7) OH! I was going to ask how to get updates to siw64-noadmin.exe if it's not going to be in the update download.  Your link to customized version says it's $50? IS that something you maintain / release updates for in line with the tech version?  If so, would that $50 payment get lifetime updates to go with my tech lifetime license?

and would  that one $50 payment also get the no gui version? (the title says customized Technician Version, not VersionS).   Not that I think I'd need it.  Just curious.  The older versions and no password / no network versions are also a non-issue for me.

(08-04-2023 03:16 PM)awilliams Wrote:  3) so is there a place I can log into to see how many licenses I have / how many are still available?
LimeLM LicenseChest will have that functionality.
In the meantime, please tell me your order number.

(08-04-2023 03:16 PM)awilliams Wrote:  7) OH! I was going to ask how to get updates to siw64-noadmin.exe if it's not going to be in the update download.  Your link to customized version says it's $50? IS that something you maintain / release updates for in line with the tech version?  If so, would that $50 payment get lifetime updates to go with my tech lifetime license?
Correct; siw64.exe and siw64-noadmin.exe are built simultaneously from the same source code.

(08-04-2023 03:16 PM)awilliams Wrote:  and would  that one $50 payment also get the no gui version? (the title says customized Technician Version, not VersionS).   Not that I think I'd need it.  Just curious.  The older versions and no password / no network versions are also a non-issue for me.
$50 for one customized build (command line without administrator privilege).