Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Getting rid of passwords

I was surprised to see some passwords displayed by SIW in connection with Firefox that I have NOT saved in Firefox. Am I right to be concerned that if SIW can find them, other programs could as well? In any case, what do I do to ensure that SIW (and other programs, if any) cannot find whatever passwords I don't want them to find? Thanks.

► I have the same issue. A staff person's user account on this Win 7 Pro PC can run SIW and see the password for the Administrator !! That's not good !!!
How do I stop SIW from showing passwords (unless it's the Administrator running the program)?

(04-05-2014 07:32 PM)glnz Wrote:  ► I have the same issue. A staff person's user account on this Win 7 Pro PC can run SIW and see the password for the Administrator !! That's not good !!!
How do I stop SIW from showing passwords (unless it's the Administrator running the program)?

Check note #2 from https://www.gtopala.com/siw/software.php#passwords

Thanks for pointer. To prevent an issue, I set the Security for SIW for the staff user to Deny.

Also, I note you write
SIW can only be used to recover the passwords for the current logged-on user on your local computer.
SIW only works if you chose the remember your password in one of the above programs.

Not in front of that Win 7 PC now but have the impression these two points are not correct because when I ran SIW in the staff user (before Deny) it showed the logon password for the Administrator.

Anyway very useful and thanks.

Mr. Topala - don't see my reply so here it is again.

I set Security for SIW for the staff user to Deny

You have in your web page -
SIW can only be used to recover the passwords for the current logged-on user on your local computer.
SIW only works if you chose the remember your password in one of the above programs.
But when I ran SIW on the Win 7 computer in the staff user account (a standard account, not an admin), it showed the logon password for the Admin user account.

Any way, SIW is very useful, and thanks.