Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Non-Admin Mode

Hi there!
Wanted to let you know that I think SIW is a great program and that I've been using for years!  

Occasionally, however, I come across a scenario where I don't necessarily have Administrative access to a machine in order to run the software (I primarily use the Portable version for tech work). 

I would love to suggest a feature or option for a future version which would allow the software to at least run under a "non-elevated" mode.  Obviously, there would be some significant limitations to the information/tools available, and it wouldn't be able to provide the same level of reporting, but even having SOME of the options/info available would be a big help.

I know others have asked about running the software without Admin rights, and I fully understand that the software requires this in order to pull much of the information that it inventories, but it would be great to have the software be able to at least try to get whatever information it could in the event that I could not utilize elevated rights. 

Just my two cents!  

Otherwise, still love the software and appreciate the active development!

Thanks!

-A

(11-30-2018 06:06 PM)Argonax Wrote:  Hi there!
Wanted to let you know that I think SIW is a great program and that I've been using for years!  

Occasionally, however, I come across a scenario where I don't necessarily have Administrative access to a machine in order to run the software (I primarily use the Portable version for tech work). 

I would love to suggest a feature or option for a future version which would allow the software to at least run under a "non-elevated" mode.  Obviously, there would be some significant limitations to the information/tools available, and it wouldn't be able to provide the same level of reporting, but even having SOME of the options/info available would be a big help.

I know others have asked about running the software without Admin rights, and I fully understand that the software requires this in order to pull much of the information that it inventories, but it would be great to have the software be able to at least try to get whatever information it could in the event that I could not utilize elevated rights. 

Just my two cents!  

Otherwise, still love the software and appreciate the active development!

Thanks!

-A

From https://www.gtopala.com/siw/customized-siw.php page:
Quote:running without Administrator Privileges